Saturday, November 9, 2013

Why I'm a Feminist?

Feminist-  The radical notion that women are people.

Last year it being a tough time for me, I honesty needed something to stay focused. One day maybe in August or July of last year. I was on the internet and I came across the most beautiful Tumblr page I had ever seen. When I looking I was seeing things like, Riot Grrl, women's rights, and the female symbol. I then look them up I believe and saw the word " FEMINISM" . I read about it on Wikipedia and realized some of the things they were talking about were what I believed in. Equality, oppression and the struggles of being a female. Days after that I began to research feminism. I liked more Tumblr pages and read more blogs. In December of 2012 I began calling myself one. Telling my parents they didn't understand and still don't. A good friend of mine was the only one I can remember congratulating me. " I'm happy to know you're becoming a feminist."  She pickets in my old town and even has the word  "feminist"tattooed. I felt so happy. I knew I was apart of something great. Today I'm still learning about what's apart of my oppression and how I can can contribute. I think when I get older I will be able to do more. I feel like I'm being held back at home from doing what I really enjoy. Teenage Feminism is hard, I'm proud to be one though.

No comments:

Post a Comment